First, the bad news about marriage and cohabitation… In Canada, about 42% of marriages are expected to end in divorce or separation1 and for cohabiting couples the rate is estimated to be almost double (60-80%)2. But the good news is… Couples who engage in effective pre-marriage counselling have a 30% higher rate of staying married3. That means counselling can increase your chances of staying together to about 75%! So, what makes pre-marriage counselling effective?
- Discussion topics are chosen by you and tailored to your priorities and interests. You will be…
- Encouraged to ask questions and discuss your concerns about any topic or problem.
- Supported and resourced in areas that you find challenging.
- Affirmed in the knowledge, skills, and strengths you possess and how those will positively influence your relationship.
- Development of practices uniquely tailored to your relationship. These will help in maintaining a strong, loving relationship far into the future.
- Support is given for building understanding and trust in your partner and your relationship.
- You will experience a safe, confidential, and respectful space to explore ideas, beliefs, values, worldviews, and ways of being together.
Please contact me if you have questions or are interested in beginning pre-marriage counselling.
Peace be to you and your household,
Shari van Spronsen, MC, RCC
Second Story Counselling